Translate

USA: Pay or Die


Dear Reader of this blog:

I'm Oscar Bartoli founder of Letter from Washington.

Returned to Washington yesterday evening after 20 days of ups and downs in our beloved Italy.

To do what?

It is easy to say: after 29 years in America I am moving back to Italy and precisely to Rome.

The reason for this final commitment, given the age of your editor, is that by now in the United States if you are unable to pay the expenses to cover the supply of special medicines, if you are unable to sell the last properties that remain to you, then you are doomed to certain death with no social alternative.

In my case, and please don't generalize, I found myself unable to pay $3,800 each month for a medicine to contain the advance of an easily identifiable disease.

It should be noted that these 3,800 dollars represent the final equivalent of the price of the aforementioned medicine, largely already covered by Medicare, the American national health insurance.

In Italy this drug is fully covered by the national health service.

Therefore, at least to cover the last months or years of my life, I decided to move permanently to Rome.

My return to Washington is to organize the complete move which, as you can well imagine, is not an easy task.

In these Italian days I had the pleasure of meeting warm appreciation among friends and acquaintances for my decision to return to my mother country.

I can assure you that, even if we live in a prevailing cynicism, this manifestation of affection from so many true and fraternal friends has comforted me in the difficult traumatic moment of giving a break to a life led in the United States as director of IRI America and after the privatization of this large financial-industrial conglomerate, as a correspondent for Rai, a professor at the Catholic University, a private American citizen, etc.

Happy to live in the federal capital of this great democracy, paying both Italian and American taxes.

In April I will complete my move to the beautiful house we have rented in Rome

As long as I am able I will continue to bore you with my blog which costs you nothing but which I am honored to write if only to make an absolutely independent voice heard in a media context too conditioned by base money.

I greet you cordially and to those who love me (and also to those who do not love me) I send a cybernetic hug.

Oscars

No comments:

Post a Comment